Equity & Anti-Oppression Statement
The Volunteer Lawyers Project of CNY, Inc. recognizes that structural and institutional systems based in racism and other forms of oppression, both in the past and present, create injustice and inequity and perpetuate poverty. VLPCNY recognizes that identifying and dismantling these systems of inequity and oppression is central to our mission.
As such, VLPCNY commits to:
- Identify and dismantle systems of inequity and oppression in our agency programs, work in the community and partnerships with collaborative organizations;
- Fight for racial justice, social justice, equitable access to justice and economic opportunity through outreach and legal services;
- Make organizational decisions centering the experiences and voices of individuals and communities impacted by systems of oppression by working in partnership with them, advocating for their rights and respecting their lived experiences;
- Educate supporters – including Board, volunteers, staff, funders, and community partners – on the impacts of inequity and how it shows up in our work;
- Advocate for changes in laws and policies to address systemic inequities; and
- Frequently review and establish goals for the agency to better address anti-racism and anti-oppression work and ensure objectives are being met.